Friday, February 15, 2013

Wonder- August Through the Peephole

As readers, we have only been given a small glimpse of Via until Part 2. Consider the chapter "August through the Peephole." In this chapter, Via asks herself many questions about August's situation. She wonders:

"Does August see how other people see him, or has he gotten so good at pretending not to see that it doesn't bother him? Or does it bother him? When he looks in the mirror, does he see the Auggie Mom and Dad see, or does he see the Auggie everyone else sees? Or is there another August he sees, someone in his dreams behind the misshapen head and face?"

Write your thoughts about Via's questions in the comment section below.

17 comments:

  1. Via is a kind person who cares about August. In the chapter she says why don't I ask August these questions? It's almost as if she doesn't say anything because she doesn't know how August will react. When she asks herself what August sees in the mirror, I can tell that she feels bad for how he looks. I know if I was put in a situation like this I would feel bad for August because everyone looks at him when he walks by. Via is one of the nicest characters in the story yet. Besides Summer. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Via is very kind and loving,however she is concerned that August isn't growing up. She believes that their family has spent to much time convincing August that he is normal that he believes that,but he isn't normal. You can tell that she feels bad for August when she talks about him looking in the mirror and by the tone of her voice when she tells what he looks like. I think August appreciates Via very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds like that new peaple that come in will get the rong
    ida.for example julen got the rong ida it speecs to you.
    with via telling us i fell so sad adout :(


    br15

    ReplyDelete
  4. Via is a kind person who doesn't bother her parents when they are busy with August. Via has all these questions about August that she has never asked,like on page 89, "When August looks in the mirror does he see the Auggie Mom and Dad see, or does he see the Auggie everyone else sees?" August doesn't open up and say how he is feeling, so she doesn't want to hurt August's feelings. In this chapter it seems that Via wants August to grow up, and for her parents not to baby him like they do. It seems like for the fist time, Via, is actually getting annoyed with August and how he is treated by his parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT seems like she knows about the struggles of auggies life and she respects it. Plus, she gave a very long descripton of auggies face

    ReplyDelete
  6. Via loves her brother but she feels very bad that August has people look at him and make a jugement just on his looks and not who he realy is. I think Via feels bad for August I think she really knows that he knows he is different. He said so at the beginning of the book. I think Via really loves August.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Via I know loves her brother very much and has gotten along very well but does not get very much love as august but understands that it is really hard for him and fells bad for him

    ReplyDelete
  8. Via is a loving sister and has been helping August for so long that all she really wants is to be the head of attention. She is saying that she thinks it is time for August to grow up more because she would be noticed and thinks it would also be good for him. I like how we get to see the story in Via's perspective because before I thought Via was fine with how August got all of the attention but now we know what she really thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Via is really nice to August. She knows that he's different and she just acts like he's normal. Via is like August's angel. She has always been there for August when times were rough. Via has been the greatest sister in the world. August is lucky to have a sister like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think august knows how other people see him, and so do his parents thats why he gets so much attention. Via is fine with August getting this much attention shes learned how to be more independent. August probably sees him self as normal i'm sure he knows how people see him but, to him hes just a normal 10 year old boy. <:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that Via is a nice loving sister who has been there for August during rough times.Now Via has sort of changed. She wants the best for Augast, which migh mean he gets all the attention. I think that Via is over that now. She wants to be the head of attention for once. I think that the way August described Via is much different then how the way Via is when she`s telling the story. I know that Via understands that August needs attention but she wants some too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thing Via is with August around ever corner, with him where ever he goes, all of the time he is doing it. Via pretends that August doesn't have a face deformation at all, but I thing Augie knows that Via is pretending. Via is also a caring sister who is offended if someone calls Augie names at the public places like parks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think august does not think him self as others do. I think he sees him self the way his mom and dad see him. The way other people see him is sad because they are frightened of what he looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think august needs to be more confident about his self. and he probubly knows that he is'nt normal and he realy is cool and nice but he isnt CONFIDENT

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Via is a nice sister. Via has most of the time Via has been there for August when he is in a tight situation. Via steps up for August a lot of times.I would be fine if Via was my sister because she would take care of me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think via feels bad for August because he is sick but she is a little upset that her time to bond with her mom is over because it is one of the only times she gets to spend time with her mom.

    ReplyDelete