Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Wonder and Via

Re-read page 110 in Wonder. Consider how Via feels when her mom gets the phone-call about August. Do you think she is upset or angry, or is she accepting of what happens? Do you think this situation has happened to Via before? Why or why not? Put yourself in Via’s shoes- how would you feel, if you were Via? 

32 comments:

  1. Via probably feels mad but she doesn't want to show it. Since August goes through so much every day, Via is used to giving up on something fun. Via quoted, "So much for the old movies and the mother-daughter bonding." I feel so bad for Via because everyday she has to accept that August is in bad shape and it isn't the time to ask for the new shoes you wanted or help on your homework. Because Via's parents just aren't like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor- I agree that Via is used to giving up something fun because of August. Even though Via is probably mad, she still convinces August to go out trick-or-treating. Via is a really kind, forgiving sister.

      Delete
  2. Your right. Via does give up her "mother-daughter bonding" and is probably used to not getting her way. Via does give up a lot for August in her life. Via probably thinks that her parents don't pay much attention to her,but really her parents try to spend as much time with her as with August. Via is the type of person who is used to not getting her way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree beacuse that is true and I really think that it is fun how you say " mother-daughter bonding". I agree about the "Vias part of life is not getting her way".I also agree how he rparents try to spent time with her and never askes for somthing.

      Delete
  3. When August's nurse calls his Mom, Via really looses that time she was finally getting attention from her Mom. If I were put in Via's shoes, I would be annoyed, because I was finally getting the attention August always gets, and then it is taken away because of August. On page 110, Via says,"So much for the old movies and mother- daughter bonding." This makes me think that Via was really enjoying the time with her Mom, but then August becomes the one that their Mom needs to give her attention and time to. If I were Via I would probably be sort of frustrated with August, and my Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby,I agree that Via looses all that attention. That text detail totally supports your thought.I think Via is definitely frustrated but she understands that August does need that attention and that his mom worries about him for a reason. But it probably annoys her that she barely gets any attention.I think you diid a good job on your writing and I agree with you on all your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I think she is mad because she wanted to spend time with her mom. I think she is upset. Via's mom is not thinking much about Via because she is spending to much time with August.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it has happened before. I would be angry if i was Via.

    ReplyDelete
  6. vai gets wored adout august.or one of her friends moms gets worried adout vai.
    b15

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I were Via I would feel bad for my brother and really care for him. Because he has a deformed face and his friend is not his friend. And he missed Halloween and it is his favorite holiday because he just gets to be a normal kid where nobody makes fun of him. And he missed Halloween because of Jack Will. He thought Jack WIll was his friend but he overheard him talk to Julian and Julian is mean and rude to him. He is having a hard time at school becuase he just got started in school. It just maked me sad for him becuase he is one of us, he just has a special face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Sage I also don't like when Julian talks about August with Jack Will behind his back.

      Delete
  8. I think that Via was really enjoying the time with her mom,but as soon as the nurse called Via's attention was lost.I think she was really annoyed,and you can tell when it says "Mom assumed the "August's mom" role again."Via's mom" who had come out for a little while,was put away".Via seems kind of disappointed in her mom that she can't even go back to what she was doing with Via,that August was too important.If I were Via I would be really annoyed because she can't even get a sliver of time with her mom to talk about her social life.If something like that happened to me I would tell my mom within a day.However Via doesn't tell her mom after multiple days and I don't think she ever will tell her mom,unless she can have a little bit of time with just her mom.Where she will not worry about August and she will just have that time to herself.I do think that if Via does want to tell her mom she needs to speak up and say so.Her mom isn't the only one that needs to do something in order for that to happen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava-I agree that Via should speak up when there's something she wants to talk to her mom about. If I had a problem I would tell my mom straight away just like you, but it was nice of her to wait because she knows that August has bigger problems. That's what a great sister does.

      Delete
    2. I agree Ava. But Via doesn't say anything because she knows that August is in bad shape and he needs some help. Via understands August as a younger brother. But Via's mom knows August as a child.

      Delete
  9. Via feel bad when her mom gets the phone call because she doesn't get to have a lot of time with her mom.
    I think Via is upset but not angrey because she knows how hard it is for August but she also wannts to spend some time with her momther.
    I think this situation has happend before because she said so.
    I would be very sad if I was Via because I would have no private time with mom but I would know that August needs her more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I think it would be hard not having private time with mom when having a special needs brother.

      Delete
  10. I think Via is a little angry because she was finally getting the bonding time she needed with her mom. At the same time I think she is accepting of it because if August was sick he is in more need of attention than she is. I think this situation has happened to Via before so may be understanding of it, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating for her. If I were Via I would feel lonely. I don't get help when I need it and I have to figure things out for myself, but he is very important to me so I shouldn't complain. I should always be there when he needs my advice or someone to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate- I agree that Via is finally getting bonding time with her mom, and that she is also able to accept the fact that August being sick is a concern of their mom. Via is a really understanding person, she is just what August needs in a big sister.

      Delete
    2. cate I agree that via would feel lonely and that she should always be there for him.

      Delete
    3. Iwould feel the same way if I were Via! Great response Cate:)

      Delete
  11. Via must feel mad when here mom doen't Get a lot of bonding time with her mom, But she knows that august is sick so she doesn't bother to say anything. I think Via has felt this many times but not as bad as this one. I would be mad also because she doesn't get to even talk with her mom that much. Maybe Vias mom just doesn't relise that she doesn't give Via much attention at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree wit you Phillip, it is crazy that Vias mom chooses the the phone over via, it most make her very frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When August's school calls I think Via is angry at first but then is accepting when she knows he is in bad shape. I think this situation has happened a lot to Via and she is probably used to it because August is always needing special attention. If I were Via I would feel almost the same because it happens to me sometimes with my twin brother.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Via is upset when her mom gets the call. That was one of the few times she had the opportunity to bond with her mom. On page 110 she says, " so much for the old movies and mother- daughter bonding." After Via sees how bad August really is she's more understanding.

    I think it has happened before by the way she says " she gave him some hot tea and assumed "August's mom" role again. "Via's mom," who had come out for a little while, was put away." if i was in Via's shoes i would probably be pretty upset at first but i would understand. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. When Augusts mom gets the phone call that Auggie is`nt feeling well I could tell that Via`s heart sank. She wants to scream and shout and let it all out, but she can`t. She understands that Auggie is in bad shape yet she is still upset. She said " Augut`s moms role again. Via`s mom, who had come out for alittle while was put away." I feel so bad for Via because she has never really had a true mother.

    ReplyDelete
  17. she probably was raging because she never get any time with any family member realy and i feel bad for her so she really probably is mad because i know i would

    ReplyDelete
  18. katharine i agree that vias heart really did sink because it was a great opportunity to talk with her mom

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think Via is mad and it has happened to her before. on PG 110 she quoted so much for the old movies and mother bonding.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think she is happy because maranda said she misses her.

    emory, I see what you mean ,but when auggie gets the call and he said that maranda misses her I think she feels happy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wednesday, February 27, 2013wonder (pg.110) :-)
    I think that Via felt in between because she was kind of frusterated, but she understood how bad august was feeling. This probably has happened to her before because, she has been complaining about how august gets all of the atention, and that she has done evrything alone.(and she has.) If I were Via I would be really angry at my parents for mostly ignoring me for my entire life. :-)

    ReplyDelete